Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoid

Approved Modder
Original poster
Approved Modder
Dec 23, 2017
Brasil
Is there a way to mod il2cpp methods other than hexpatching? As far as I've searched, ppl use C++ for modmenu and hooking purposes but not for modding it, they end up using hexpatch anyway... Is it possible to mod the dumped Assembly-Csharp.dll from il2cpp.so and then "recompiling" it in il2cpp again? Or inject a dll into il2cpp like pc games?

Hooking the il2cpp is like "injecting" a dll into it, or something like it. But I'm having a hard time finding ppl that use C++ in their mods.

Pseudocode:
Code:
//don't take this "code" too seriously, it's for example purpose
void hook();

void getMethod(method){

method = newMethod; //This newMethod would be written in C++, giving the modder more freedom

}

//but what I found is ppl using like this
void hook();

void modMethod()){

methodOffset = newHex; //This newHex would be just a way to override the original hex, just like hexpatching but with a "modmenu"/toggle

}

Last edited:
Reactions: Ez4Hobo

Yaskashije

PMT Elite Modder
Staff member
Modding-Team
Sep 9, 2018
Minkowski Space
They are called dummy .dll because they dont hold the real code, just the symbols and maybe some extra info. All the real code is already compiled into the il2cpp.so file.
Dummy .dll are used as a guide to mod, since il2cpp.so file has almost all symbols stripped by default.

You can just check some really old SubwaySurfer apk, which should be .dll, and compare its .dll with the dummy .dll you'd get from dumping a more recent version if you dont want to compile your own apk.

As for the second part, just use internet browser to check what a hook really is (by definition).

Reactions: dinoid

dinoid

Approved Modder
Original poster
Approved Modder
Dec 23, 2017
Brasil
They are called dummy .dll because they dont hold the real code, just the symbols and maybe some extra info. All the real code is already compiled into the il2cpp.so file.
Dummy .dll are used as a guide to mod, since il2cpp.so file has almost all symbols stripped by default.

You can just check some really old SubwaySurfer apk, which should be .dll, and compare its .dll with the dummy .dll you'd get from dumping a more recent version if you dont want to compile your own apk.

As for the second part, just use internet browser to check what a hook really is (by definition).
Yeah, I always thought of the dummy dll as a guide for offsets and methods, nothing more... Old games use assembly-csharp and not il2cpp, what makes them easier to mod, I'm aware.
My question was if it is possible to mod the game using C++ instead of Hexpatch. I already watched like 3 videos from start to end. Read stuff like crazy and didn't manage to find anything about modding through dll or C++.
Thanks for your reply! Will keep studying!

Status
Not open for further replies.