Help! How to place Android / data & obb files inside apk file? SaveToGame doesn't unpack files properly for Android 13

GeoLancer

Solid & Active Platinian
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
New Zealand
As the title says, how do I place Android / data and Android / obb files inside apk file so that it installs properly for Android 13 devices?

The "add cache" method for SaveToGame works fine with no errors whatsoever but when I try installing the apk file with the data+obb files in it, the only thing that pops up when I open the apk is the inside contents of the apk file under "StG Extracted Apps" folder. When I try to install the very same apk file with the data+obb files in it on an older Android device, it works and installs fine (tested it on my Android 8.1 device).

From what I've read here, I heard that you have to manually implement those files into the apk file since SaveToGame stopped updating. Problem is, I don't know how to do that.

I just need to know the step-by-step instructions on how to manually implement Android / data + obb files into the apk file so that it installs properly on Android 13 devices. This problem is literally the only thing that's stopping me from posting a bunch of mods that I made. It's necessary to do this so that people can play the modded games I made for Android 13 devices.

Go easy on me since I'm practically a beginner with this stuff. Thanks in advance to those who will help me on this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lujim

Mizzani

Awesome Active Platinian
Oct 1, 2020
Indonesia
hello bro, I also experienced the same thing as you just now, I've looked for ways but there is still no right solution to this problem, if I may know, have you found the solution now??
thanks bro

GeoLancer

Solid & Active Platinian
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
New Zealand
hello bro, I also experienced the same thing as you just now, I've looked for ways but there is still no right solution to this problem, if I may know, have you found the solution now??
thanks bro
Nope sorry. I looked everywhere, including other older mobile game modding websites as well.

Reactions: Mizzani

8BIT

Approved Modder
Approved Modder
Dec 29, 2019
Afaik An App Can Access its OWN data directory (/data/data/com.some.pkg and /sdcard/Android/data).
Idk about Obb dir, but you can make the app to extract data files by using getDataDrectory method.

How ?
Make an App yourselves(In Java) which does copying stuff from assets to data/obb.
(Make sure you're doing this in another class than MainActivity.java)
then decompile grab that specific class(smali file) you've coded and put in new apk,
call methods , and done!

It does require programming(Android programming w/ kotlin/java)

NOTE: I Think i did something similar while trying to crack gunship battle helicopter 3d, in which i tried to copy the save file from external storage to apps data dir(/data/data/com.some.pkg).
The copying part did wrked but the game , not yet cracked:face04:

Lujim

Platinian
Sep 29, 2021
When you post mods with the Gameloft folder, the games work normally, but when it's in the data or obb folder, it doesn't work on Android 13

GeoLancer

Solid & Active Platinian
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
New Zealand
When you post mods with the Gameloft folder, the games work normally, but when it's in the data or obb folder, it doesn't work on Android 13
It doesn't apply to all of my mods with obb files. Both my Shadowgun mod and The Shadow Sun mod both seem to work fine for Android 13 with no issues, and both are using obb files as well. I never got any complaints from anyone on those 2 games.

Games that require installing something in Android / data will never work for Android 13-14 because the Android / data folder in Android 13-14 cannot be accessed as of right now, even with using tricks like disabling Google Files app and using something like Xplore File Manager and FV File Explorer. Any attempt to place files in Android / data will always fail in Android 13-14 no matter what. Accessing it would require some programming work, which is already explained by 8BIT's comment above. Learning programming just to be able to move files to Android / data isn't really worth my time. Changing the location as to where the game saves your save files would require you to edit the source code of the app, and only the official game developers have the source code so there's that.

Lastly, everyone needs to remember that every phone & tablet out there runs on different configurations, software, and hardware. Just because 5 different phones all uses Android 13, it doesn't mean a certain app or game will work the same way in all 5 phones. The app or game may work on some of them but not for others. That's just how it is.

Reactions: Lujim

GeoLancer

Solid & Active Platinian
Original poster
Jul 14, 2023
New Zealand
Forgot to add my Dead Effect mod to this as well. That one also uses obb files and I never got any complaints from it as well. Works like a charm for everyone. So yeah, it doesn't apply to all my mods that uses obb files. For the ones that uses Android > data, it works for some but it doesn't work for others. That's what happened with some of my other mods like The Dark Knight Rises.

Only way to find out if it works for you is to really test it on your device yourself. Don't assume it won't work just because it didn't work for for the JrPTT testers since their mobile devices cannot represent everyone else's mobile devices.