Tool [TOOL][WIN/LIN/MAC] MiUnlockTool - Unlock bootloader of xiaomi devices on mac & linux

IZeuz

Platinian On Fire
Original poster
Aug 18, 2017
Germany
MiUnlockTool is an unofficial tool used to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi devices. This tool is copied from the original windows MiFlashUnlock tool and works the same way. The main feature of this tool is compatibility with linux and mac operating system (and windows too).
If you want more information about the tool and the story behind you can read below, if you just want the download link, here it is:
DOWNLOAD LINK
Requirements: java (javafx for gui if not included in your jdk/jre)

Usage:
- Download and extract the zip file
- If you don't have it, install java
- On windows:
-- open MiFlashUnlock.bat for graphical interface or:
-- open a cmd windows and CD into extracted dir and use "MiUnlockTool.bat username password" command for command-line usage
- On linux:
-- open a terminal window and cd into extracted dir and use "sudo ./MiUnlockTool.sh" command for gui interface or "sudo ./MiUnlockTool.sh username password" for command-line
- On mac:
-- open (double click) MiFlashUnlock.command for graphical interface or
-- open a terminal window and cd into extracted dir and use "./MiFlashUnlock.command username password" for command-line
- Attach your locked device in fastboot mode.
- If you are using gui just follow what you see on your screen
- If you are using command line version remember that there is no confirmation request before unlock and no check if the bootloader is already unlocked.

Possible errors:
- If you get a permission related error on linux or mac when launching the tool, open a terminal and cd into extracted dir and use "chmod 777 MiUnlockTool.sh" (or MiUnlockTool.command on mac) to set the executable permission.
- If your device isn't recognized:
-- On windows: install adb drivers
-- On linux/mac trying launching the tool with sudo (sudo ./MiUnlockTool.sh on linux or sudo ./MiUnlockTool.command on mac)
- Other problems launching the tool: try running "java -jar bin/MiUnlockTool.jar" command
- If you get some errors with javafx class not found stuff when you try to launch the gui, then you are missing javafx library. See openjfx package on linux.
- Any other problem: provide feedback in the comments.

Additional info: original MiFlashUnlock tool is just a bridge between fastboot, you (and your account login credentials) and xiaomi server: the tool gets device info from the device and send them to the server together with the account login token, the server checks wherever you satisfy all their requirements (account authorized, account associated with device in developer settings etc) and if everything is okay the server reply with the unlock key for your device instance (every time you reboot your phone you need a new key). Then the tool send the key to the device with a custom build of fastboot and if the key is right then the device is unlocked, else it reboots. After I discovered all the process behind the original unlock tool (and all the security encryption techniques) I decided to replicate it with a java (cross-platform) tool which embeds a custom fastboot version and replicates what the original tool does. That's a simple explaination of how my tool works (obviously it's more complicated than that).
This tool requires all of what is required by the original tool (an authorized xiaomi account binded to the device through developer options for three days if I remember correctly).

FAQs:
- Is this tool safe to use?
Yes, the main part is communication between tool and server, a safe thing. Also the unlock procedure itself is safe: or the key is correct or it is not. In both cases the device will not be damage.
- How did you find out how to replicate the original tool?
Thank you for your question. It's been a bit difficult since the original tool has been obfuscated and virtualized (protected against reverse engeneering) with a powerful protector: VMProtect. I've spent some time to reverse it (and custom fastboot too) and I finally did it. I will not explain in details how I did it.
- Is this tool more powerful than the original on? why should I use it on Windows?
Absolutely not, my tool is worst than the original one (it will have more bugs and on windows it doesn't manage drivers for example), that's why you should NOT use it on Windows. I made it work even with Windows because it was very simple to do. You can use it one Windows just to test it if you like, but I recommend using the better original tool MiFlashUnlock.
- Wow, you did a tool already done by developers paid by xiaomi, who is paying for the effort you put into this?

- I have to put my xiaomi account credentials, should I trust this?
I'm the developer of XiaoMiTool, I hope that a little bit of my reputation together with the hopefully good early feedback of reckless users on this tool is enough. If you are more a geek you can track the traffic and see that the only server connected are xiaomi and miui.
- I wanted too see the source of this tool but I see it is a bit obfuscated, why?
Xiaomi clearly doesn't wanted people to see how MiFlashUnlock works (since they obfuscated it a lot), I don't want to disrespect xiaomi decision by releasing the source plain, so I decided to obfuscated it a bit just to make it a bit harder to see (even if my tool is 100 times easier to reverse than the original)
- Can I share this tool?
Of course yes, but I would like you to share it using the xiaomitool.com link (not mega.nz one) so that if I release an update new people will get that and not the old version (there is no tool update enginge built in).
- You're english is not wonderful...
I know, hopefully it is understandable enough

Feedback.
I love feedback, feedback is the best you can do to help me improving this tool. I have not time to answer everybody's questions but I generally read feedback and do my best to make the tool work. If the tool worked or if the tool didn't worked you can write it in the comments, adding additional information like what error you get, what screen you see when the tool get stuck or even what you tried to solve the problem are precious to me. I have not all of xiaomi devices, I fully ested my tool only with two devices (a redmi 4x and a mi note 2) and only on two operating systems (linux and windows), so any new combination could lead to new errors or problems. Please include also your operating system when leaving feedback. Sometimes there are problems on gui which are not on command-line version, so if the tools fails launching or when using gui I suggest trying the command-line version.